[VAC] Re: [VACEngine Performance

The first long trip we took towing a 30' Argosy with a  2 yer old  Food
F150 with a 351 engine went fine at the beginning.  We live at about 4000
ft altitude and typically towed in the 3-4000 altitude.  As we headed
north and bit east we got to Kansas and suddenly the engine started
performing badly, missing, and running rough.  Added some gas addative
and it helped.  I had been running on regular octane gas, probably around
86 octane.  I changed to hi test, 90+ octane and truck ran fine.  Later I
talked with a service station owner about this and he indicated the
higher the altitude the thinner the oxygen level and thus the lower
octane is better for your engine performance, conversly at lower
altitude, heavier oxygen, engine requires higher octane.  I have since
been told that vehicle fuel systems are factory  adjusted to the altitude
of the dealer they are going to and that it is not unusual for an owner
to experience rough running when they take their vehicle to extremely
different altitudes.  Anybody really know about this for sure?

Roy