RE: [A/S] Diesel Mileage...

Hi Dan,
I pull a fully loaded 34' Limited Front Kitchen trailer with a 2004 GMC 2500
HD 4WD Short box Crew Cab with the Duramax / Allison package. I get between
13 and 14 MPG towing at 65 MPH in average terrain. I have gotten as low as
11 MPG pulling through the Rockies, and 15 MPG here in the flat lands of the
Southeast Coast. The truck will get between 18 and 19 MPG driving at 70 MPH
on the Interstates here in the SE and the mountains of Western North
Carolina / Eastern Tennessee when driving solo. I keep track of every gallon
of fuel I burn in an Excel spread sheet that does all the math. I have found
the spread sheet and the truck on board computer is fairly close, but the on
board computer always gives me better MPG than the spread sheet. I tracked a
trip last year that included the Southwest Adventures Caravan, back through
the Ozarks for a month of running around fly fishing, then up to the
International in Springfield, and back to Wilmington, NC. I set the on board
computer to track the entire trip (it has two trip tracking capability), and
compared that with my spread sheet for the entire trip of 10,238 miles. The
spread sheet said 14.42 and the on board computer said 14.47 MPG.
I tracked a 14,000+ mile trip in 2001 to Alaska and back down through the
Rockies to Wilmington pulling the same trailer, with a 2000 2500 GMC truck
that was 2WD and had the 6.0 L Gas engine with a 4.10 Rear End and got 9.97
MPG for the entire trip.
I hope this helps you in your comparison. I think I am an average driver,
and drive at or below the speed limit while traveling. I don't claim this
MPG to be great, but it is as accurate as I know how to get it.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624