RE: [A/S] hensley arrow ?

David, while I'm glad your Hensley saved you, I also
get concerned when I see reports of these other
accidents which tend to make one feel that the hitch
and its sway control failed to prevent the accident.

In the cases regarding the Reese and the Equal-i-zer,
no reference was made as to whether the hitches were
installed correctly or were operating properly at the
time.  As a owner who has pulled with Reese and
Equal-i-zer hitches, I realize that there is more to
strapping on a hitch and assuming everything will be
alright.  Did the owner of the Reese have his load
balanced correctly by proper adjustment of the links
on the chains attached to the trunion bars?  Did the
Equal-i-zer owner adjust the torque on the friction
nuts on the hitch as is noted by the manufacturer's
instructions (especially necessary on a new
installation as it breaks in)?

I can tell you from first hand experience that nothing
is worse than an owner who doesn't hitch up correctly,
doesn't monitor his tire pressures, overloads tires
either by low pressures or excessive speed, or doesn't
provide proper maintenance to his equipment.  And
shame on the dealer who doesn't provide proper
training to the first time trailer owner.

Yes the Hensley does provide some exceptional features
when trouble occurs.  My problem is that you gave an
example where you were towing a trailer at 75 mph,
which if you were using Goodyear Marathon tires
(installed on all new Airstreams) you were traveling
10 miles per hour over the rated speed rating for that
tire.  In that case the load rating for your tire
falls below the tire's stated capacity and your chance
for a tire failure increases.

So in essence you create a hazard by driving too fast
but that's OK because if something happens, my Hensley
will save the day.  Not a good example for first time
owners who are reading these threads.

Jack Canavera
STL. Mo.
'04 Classic S.O. 30'