[A/S] Neighborhood restrictions

Don't be too complacent about your neighborhood restrictions.  I don't know Texas law but
in Florida the restrictions automatically renew at the end of their terms.  Ours just
renewed at the end of the 20 year term but are not enforced but still on the books.  I
live in an equestrian community of 1 acre + lots.  The dream of the developer was to
provide a community where people would be able to keep their horses in their back yard.
We have trails along a creek and it is a wonderful secluded community in which to ride.
County code allows for three hooved mammals per acre.  Around 2000, this community became
very popular for some folks that came in building 5000 sf houses and taking up much of
the green space on their lots - we have one going up now that is over 6500 sf (who'd want
to clean all that and I would never find where I left the broom!!!).  Those folks decided
they didn't like the rural flavor - although we are zoned AR-1 meaning agricultural land
that is approved for 1 single family residence per acre - and started trying to enforce
deed restrictions.  My immediate neighbor claimed it was nice to see the horses on his
ride home but he didn't want to live next to them!  There were 5 horses in my pasture
when he broke ground for his house!!!  Go figure!

In our little 150 house community it pitted neighbor against neighbor.  To top it all
off, the developer made the 250 acre community into 5 units as he developed and each unit
had their unique deed restrictions.  Unit 1 was allowed any grazing animal (read that as
a cow!) and some units were limited to two horses per lot (even if you owned three acres
it was considered one lot).  When they jumped on me for too many horses (I own 2.5 acres
and legally can have 7 horses per county rules) they stated that because I combined two
1.25 acre lots into one folio for purposes of building a barn on the second lot, that I
lost my privilege to have the 7 horses.  NOT!  I ended up spending thousands of dollars
and going to a Circuit Court judge for a Declaration of Summary Judgement.

He declared that at that point in time the deed restrictions had not been enforced for
over 15 years and they were no longer relevant in the community.  One deed restriction
states you can't have anything larger than a one ton truck but many residents have larger
trucks to pull their horse trailers.  While the restrictions did roll over and renew - on
paper - they would only be enforceable if new deed restrictions relevant to this day and
time were accepted by the community and that take an 80% vote.  Trying to get 80% of our
busy families to stop and vote and agree on what the new deed restrictions would be is
next to impossible so we look to County Code Enforcement if there should be any problems.
The Board has agreed that there are higher priority items on the agenda and they just
don't discuss deed restrictions anymore!  So far there has been nothing that has been a
nuisance - this community keeps their lawns cut, trash picked up and maybe a house needs
painted every now and then, it isn't enough to get upset!

Be aware of your deed restrictions as many prohibit RVs or boats or - get this one, in
our community, of all things, horse trailers were not to be seen from the road.  It must
be defined which road if you are on a corner or if your camper can be seen from a road
that travels behind your property.  The Condo Commandos really try to pull out their aces
when they start the problems so you have to be cautious!!!

Pam in Tampa