RE: [A/S] Airstream Breaks

> We are getting ready to put the Airstream on the road for our first
> time.  Took it in for an inspection and the break linings are cracked
> and need replaced.  They want to replace the whole assembly and not
> just the break linings.  Does that sound like a good thing to do?  It
> is a 1987 Ambassidor about 31'.  Also the backup lights didn't work I
> must have gotten wires crossed.  I went from a 9 pin to a standard 7
> pin for my Silverado.

Hi Dan,
This is not a bad way to go. They replace the "Back Plate" that has all new
moving parts mounted on it. This is usually cheaper than replacing all the
moving parts as individual pieces at the shop. You also end up with all new
factory fitted parts with no worn stuff in the system at all.

Joe Scudder
34' LIMITED that requires a good break job about every 20 to 30 thousand
miles..