[A/S] Re: batteries and boondocking

If one has the space for two batteries, and the space (height) will fit the
golf cart batteries, they are probably the best way to go.  Instead of
connecting them in parallel, you would connect them in series, to double the
voltage.  They last longer than two 12V deep cycles.  They are, however,
about two inches higher than the type 24 and 27 batteries normally used in
this application.  I have a 1978 31' Sovereign, and the golf cart batteries
will NOT in any way fit in the battery locations with doors on them that
Airstream built into this trailer.  My 1975 24' Argosy only takes one
battery, so unless I make physical modifications to each of my trailers, I
have to use what it was designed for.  I find that I could get an AGM into
the Argosy, but I cannot in the Airstream because of the sliding battery
trays.  All options are a trade off for boondocking.  Now for my experience
with winter boondocking and furnace operation.  I found, with the single
battery Argosy, at about 20 degrees F. I got one good night of furnace
before the battery needed charging.  I would start the generator in the AM
and use the coffee maker and electric griddle and toaster, again at noon -
same basics and again at supper and for evening telly.  That would charge
the battery enough for another furnace night.  Same with the Airstream, but
with two batteries, I can get two nights furnace.  All else is pretty much
equal.  I have Interstate deep cycle wet cells.  I thought of solar, but
live a bit far north to get good use in winter unless I get lots of solar
panels.

Tom
Canada