Re: [A/S] transmission heating

> Hi!  We have a 2004 Suburban 3/4 ton with 3.73 axle,
> towing a 25'
> Excella.

First read your owners manual and see what it says
about towing in overdrive.  That's the definitive
answer there.

You should use the tow/haul button when towing.  That
will change the transmission shift points to give you
optimum power from your engine.  It will also delay
the upshift points so your transmission will not
excessively hunt back and forth.

In some cases you may need to manually downshift the
transmission if you feel that the transmission is
hunting, even if you have the tow/haul engaged.
Sometimes downshifting sooner will help you better
hold speed on longer hills rather than losing too much
before the downshift occurs.

Even with tow/haul engaged, I usually downshift out of
OD when negotiating some of the big hills in the
Ozarks.  It makes a big difference.  The good thing to
keep in mind that shifting out of OD will not hurt
your engine, not shifting at the proper time can have
a detrimental effect on the transmission.

Hopefully you have an external transmission oil
cooler.  That will make a big difference in keeping
the tranny oil temperatures in control.

As to your flashing warning vs. the gauge, you may
need to get this checked out. If you did hit 265
degrees, you may need to get your tranny oil replaced
soon.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jack Canavera