Re: [A/S] Mercedes ML 500 and a 34 foot Airstream

> Hummers!  <snort> 1/2 ton, Chevy pickups in fancy suits.

Actually, only about 10 percent of the parts are recycled from pickups.
They really are different beasts all together.

I've got a 4WD Tahoe too, which *is* a recycled pickup parts and frame,
and I couldn't follow the Hummer 500 feet on a good lot of the trails
without needing to have it towed back to a dealer broken. There are
trails where the Hummer couldn't follow the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
either, but not really so very many. I wouldn't think about taking the
Tahoe on trails.

I camp as near to the area I want to explore as possible, then use the
4WD to save several days of walking and get as deep into the back
country as I can, hiking to the sights from there with day packs,
camera, radios, GPS, etc.

But yes, I do scratch them (seldom), and break them (very seldom these
days). But that's why I have them. The day I start to worry about using
the hard-core vehicles on the trails, is when I'll cease to need them.
If you've got to worry about paint scratches and broken parts, then
4-wheeling isn't a good fit for your particular situation. I've been
4-wheeling for over 40 years. Someday it'll get to be too much, but as
long as I can hike, and still want to see the extreme beauty of the back
country, I'll have a use for them. There is some simply amazing stuff to
see way back of beyond. And, it's just too far to walk all the way.
That's the draw for me. In my younger days it was testing the mechanical
ability of a particular vehicle that interested me. These days, it's
just a platform to get me where I want to go. I don't make getting to my
destination any harder than it has to be, but I want to get there and
back with a reasonable margin for safety.

That's where the A/S comes in with it's self sufficiency. I get as far
back as I can on maintained roads, and use that as a base for further
exploration, sometimes staying out overnight in the back country.

Rick Kunath