Re: [A/S] New Group Member

Wilson -
A few years back I decided to get a 1976 26" Airstream Argosy to tow with my
'89 Jeep Cherokee.  The Jeep was rated at 5000 LBS, the trailer weighed 3800
LBS dry.  I replaced the Jeep's  3:50 gears with 4:10s front and rear,
replaced the complete suspension with ARB heavy duty springs and shocks.  Even
with all this and done and a properly set up weight distributing hitch
with a  friction sway control, I never felt comfortable towing on the highway.
I could tow at 65 MPH just fine, and never had any bad experiences with sway
from passing trucks, etc, but there was this feeling that the trailer was
controlling the rig, instead of the Jeep controlling the trailer.  On
 secondary roads at slower speeds it felt better, but once my brake plug came
out and I tried to stop everything without the trailer brakes and literally
NOTHING happened.  I down shifted into low range to bring it to a stop,
 and thank goodness I was only going 20 MPH when it happened.  After that I
 got a 3/4 ton long bed quadcab Dodge truck, and the feeling of steadiness
and control is so much greater  I would never go back to towing with a sport
utility, again.  You might be OK with a 20" trailer if you have to tow with
the Jeep, but I would be remiss if I didn't recommend that you get something
with a longer wheelbase if possible.
Good - luck!
Guy