Re: [A/S] F250

> We will be buying an Airstream trailer in the next year or so. Will an
> F250,diesel,4x4,6 speed manual, handle a 34' Airstream anywhere in the
> USA including Alaska? Thanks

**************************************

We're going through the exact same thing...trying to decide on which
truck...so I just happen to have the 2006 Ford brochure in front of me.

An F-250, 4x4, Powerstroke, and manual transmission, has a GCWR of 23,000#
with a 3.73 rear end and a conventional tow rating of 12,500# (no matter the
cab configuration).  It has a GVWR of 9,800# and a payload of 2,800#.

Keep in mind that the tow rating and payload are for a basic truck with no
options and one 150# driver.  Weight of additional options, equipment,
passengers and cargo must be deducted from these weights.

The GVWR of the 34' Classic Airstream is 11,500# (with or without slide
out).  The dry hitch weight of the non-slide unit is 790#, the slide unit
1,250# (both without options)...once you start adding options, the dry hitch
weights will go up.

The hitch weight for a trailer is supposed to be in the 10% to 12% range;
that means that when fully loaded to it's GVWR, the hitch weight should
range from 1,150# to 1,380#.

It looks like you'll be OK, but you'll want to keep a close eye on what you
put in the truck to make sure you don't exceed the GVWR or rear GAWR.  Be
sure to weigh the entire setup once you have it loaded for a trip and make
adjustments if necessary.

Linda