[A/S] Speaking of Cats

We have two  cats and have never taken them trailering. Our old
trailer was just way to small and the Airstream is uh, well....,
taking a bit longer than anticipated to get roadworthy.

Is is possible to travel with cats? Ours are like bullets. Open the
door and zoom, they are gone. They come back when they want to. Not on
any schedule.

If we go on extended trips I don't think leaving them locked in the
house at home is the answer. But I would hate to be off in the middle
of nowhere and be battling some wild creature for one of our cats. Or
wandering around for days going, "here kitty, kitty."

Any of you travel with cats?

Thanks, bill b.