Re: [A/S] about to lose our airstream virginity.....

If you're going to get a new (to you) vehicle for towing get a full
size truck chassis.  Either a full size pickup or a full size van.
However, don't use a van with an extended body without a Pullrite or
Hensly hitch.  A full size pickup with a standard cab will have a
wheelbase of about 135"-140".  I consider this to be a minimum.
Stability is largely a function of wheelbase and is a trade off for
maneuverability.  So if you plan on going into tight places buy
something on the short end of the scale.  If you want a lot of cab
space get a crew cab with a short box (Ford=156").  If you want to
carry a lot of cargo space get a Supercab with a full size box
(Ford=158").  If you want both get both (Ford=172").  If you want LOTS
of interior space get a van (Ford=138").

Diesel engines are wonderful for towing.  They have lots of torque
available at low rpms.  The Ford Powerstrokes have been turbocharged
for about 10 years as has the Cummins in the Dodge and more recently
the GM Duramax.  Turbocharged engines will lose very little power at
higher altitudes so when you're pulling through the Rockies you'll
motor right past the gas engines while wondering what CD to put in
next.  And even if you don't pull at high altitudes the low end torque
produced by the diesels is wonderful.  The extra fuel mileage is nice
too.

So what you NEED is probably a half ton, standard cab with a V8 gas
motor.  Best is a Peterbilt.

> has anyone ever seen an ambassador with two sets of bunk beds instead
> of two twins and cupboards over them?

My parents had a 1962 26' with the four middle bunks and a rear bath,
but I don't think it was an Ambassador.  I've logged quite a few
sleeping hours in an upper bunk of such a layout.

> I think we're getting a pretty good deal, what would be a fair price
> for this unit?  owner says all works, just some minor repairs
> needed....... skin seems to be in pretty good shape....one dent in
> back and no rust or "bleeding" around tail lights or anything,
> original cupboards, bathroom (inclucing ceramic toilet bowl), original
> curtains, wall lights, door within door option, I don't think the
> stove or frig is original, but what do I know?? :)  how does that
> sound?
>
> Thanks, for any help you can give us!!!
>
> Paul and Kendra

Wayne