[A/S] Roof vent fan covers

Howdy all,

My '92 Excella is in need of new roof vent covers.  Without doing
enough homework I bought a pair of Maxxfans, which appear to be
functionally very neat.  They won't however fit my existing openings.
Yup, duh.  So, I'm now doing the homework I should have done 2 weeks
ago.

Has anyone installed these in an Airstream?  Is there anything
particularly tricky about cutting the existing openings to accept the
Maxxfans?  What goop should I use to seal the new adapter plate to the
skin of the trailer?  The existing adapter plate has more rivets than
there are holes in the new adapter plate, should extra holes be drilled
in the new adapter plate to match the spacing of the trailer's rivet
holes?

Any advice is appreciated.

TIA
Wayne