[A/S] Re: Life of an Armstrong Air Conditioner - Discharging capacitor

Christopher-
My understanding is that discharging a capacitor by jumping across the
terminals with a screwdriver is possible, but is awfully hard on the
capacitor (and the screwdriver). If the capacitor was working, it
likely won't be afterward. Grounding with a length of wire or using a
resistor is the preferred method, unless you're going to replace the
capacitor anyway and welding the screwdriver a bit doesn't bother you,
then I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not an EE- I'm going on the
instruction of one. Just don't want anyone to get zapped.

Chris

Christopher wrote: "..While I've never had to do that before, if I
understand correctly you
simply jumper across the two capacitor terminals with a screwdriver or
other metal obect while wearing some heavy rubber gloves.  Correct?
Letting the voltage zap won't harm any other components?"