[A/S] Re: What to look for when buying a used Airstream?

Look for, "AND" at everything.

We have a "safety inspection" report, that we perform on used "new"
purchases.

It consists of over 250 different inspections.

Over the course of years, we find an average of over "200" items
needing attention. Yet most of the trailers we inspected were sold as
being in "great" condition. Great what? Great good, or, great bad?????

Costly? You bet.

The safest way to examine a used coach that a person is considering
to purchase, is rather easy.

Assume nothing!!!! Listening to the owner tell you all about it, is
usually the last thing you should do, if at all. Be observant. Don't
assume. LOOK AT EVERYTHING!!! If you don't, you later will wish that
you did.

Fire up the furnace and water heater at the same time that the stove
burners are on. Run the AC, and the music system. Turn on all the
lights, at the same time. Check all the gaskets, ie, door, window,
access compartments, vent covers and the sewer vent pipes. Check the
axles, as it takes less than 10 seconds to do so, along with the
appearance of the shocks. Check for missing rivets, inside and out.
Check for bulkheads being out of place. Check the LPG tank dates to
assure compliance. Check the umbilical and city power cables.
Pressurize the water system. Check each faucet as well as the shower
head. Add considerable water to the black and gray tanks (if so
equipped) and look for leaks. Does the toilet flush correctly? Does
the reefer work on gas and electric? Does the footstep work
correctly?

Do the brakes work? When were the brakes last looked at or when was
the last time the bearings were repacked along with new grease seals.
Are the tire, wheel and hub and drums balanced as an assembly?

How many glass windows were replaced with plexiglass? Rear end
separation is a "must check".

Roll out the awnings, check the material and seams. Check the fit of
the entrance door and the access doors.

And finally, check for sheetmetal damage, especially the underbelly.
Sheetmetal replacements are not cheap.

This list can go on and on, but none of the above should be
overlooked.

As you can see, it will take time to check these items. If you don't.
later on, you will wish that you did. If the seller will not allow
you that time, then pass on the deal.

The name of the game is "BUYER BEWARE", as you will have no
recourse.

Andy
Inland RV Center, Inc.