Re: [A/S] 12-volt outlet in truck

> Inverter??!!  Just pick up a ciggie to laptop connection.  Been using mine
> for years with 2 different laptops.  Not problemski oneski.
>
> Google it and see if what comes up looks like your "inverter".
> Keep in mind that laptops are made to run on DC...

But not necessarily 12 volts DC.

I have three ThinkPads that run on other than 12 volts DC and have the
factory DC adapter for each of them, which replaces the AC power pack.

Never had any issues with any of them.

The inverter designed handle the step-ups if required, or voltage
regulation circuitry if not, and is built into the factory laptop DC
power adapter.

Even on a laptop designed to run on 12 volts DC, you may want to take a
look at the manufacturer's recommendations for 12 volt DC powering. Not
all laptops have filtering adequate to protect them in an unfiltered
automotive application, and DC voltages on an automotive system can vary
wildly depending on the battery's charge state and any active charging
going on. See what the manufacturer of your laptop recommends.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060