[A/S] Re: Water line drain '77 31' Excella 500

Hi Christopher,

You asked:

>  How was this elbow attached to the tank drain?

Keep in mind I did this job 25 years ago. Surely, I'd do it differently
now. Go with the materials familiar to you. A few questions at a local
plumbing supply house will get you the parts you need. They are
probably available at Home Depot, too.

> Did you ever have water in the tank when it was below freezing
> outside and you were using the trailer or otherwise had the furnace
> running?

You asked about "having water in the tank when it was below freezing."
Answer is  "yes - definitely."

But, I'm one of those who keeps his water tank full of filtered water
most always. Likewise, I know all about giardia and the filtration
techniques for dealing with it. That was part of Mountain Climbing 101
back in high school.

Over the years I've learned our Airstreams don't have a problem with a
full water tank and overnight temperatures in the high 20s followed by
daylight temperatures in the high 30s - even while boondocking and
using only our catalytic heater.

When temperatures are colder than that, we rent campsites with
electricity and use our power goggling furnace. If the temperature
takes an unexpectedly steep nose dive, we have several small electric
heaters for blowing heat into vulnerable areas. When only a small
amount of heat is needed, I often snake an ordinary 110 Volt trouble
light into that area.

In our larger trailers, one vulnerable area is where the outside
connector enters the side wall under a bed. That space is easy to heat.
A second area is under the sink and under the floor down in the bowels
of the Airstream. That takes a little more effort to heat. I have a
favorite heater for that job.

In our smaller trailers, one vulnerable area is behind the bathtub. I
have a specific small heater for targeting blown hot air into that
space. It goes without saying that all doors to cabinets with liquids
inside will be left open during the night while we're sleeping.

As a further precaution if I'm really antsy about staying on top of the
temperature, i.e. in the bowels of the trailer, I have a spare
refrigerator thermometer with a long flexible remote sensor. I slip the
sensor into the area and leave it there for the duration. It's a handy
little gadget for $25.

> I was concerned about the exposed valve and dead leg of water below
> the tank freezing and breaking.

I would be concerned too -- if overnight temperatures were in the low
20s followed by daylight temperatures in the high 20s. That's when I
would do an honest injun winterizing.

I'm all for taking risks - for testing the limits - but I was never one
of those guys who slept during his high school physics classes.

Christopher, you'll do just fine if you stay with what you know and
take your time creating the adaptation.  90% of it is just plain common
sense.

Terry