Re: [A/S] Crossing safety chains

> I have a thingy I put through the ball thingy to hold the thingy down so it
> doesn't pop up when I hit a bump with my horse trailer.

Ya know, Hunter.  All this technical jargon is getting deep.   <bg>

The "thingie" you are referring to is called a "clevis pin" - I THINK.

Regardless, I can't imagine that everyone doesn't stick SOMETHING in that
hole to secure the latching lever (thingie) down on the coupler, securing
the hitch ball, while towing.  For her new popup, I got my sister a simple
stainless bolt and nut to do the job.

I use a LOCKING clevis pin in there when the camper is unhitched (during
storage or while camping).  I also store the drawbar and hitch head IN the
coupler during these times.  It is all locked into the coupler with the
clevis pin.

I used the locking clevis pin WHILE towing until a Trailer Life article
explained that doing so might not be a good idea:  If, God forbid, the
trailer must be unhitched in a BIG HURRY (on fire, etc) while towing, you
don't want to be fumbling around looking for the key to unlock the hitch.

At Lowes, for use during towing, I bought a clevis pin with an attached
retaining clip.  It works great!

            :)
JR