[A/S] twins to double & closets/vanity/desk

Hi Teri,

Been there, done that - 15 years ago. Swapped our parts for factory
parts at Billy Pollards dealership in Jackson, Mississippi.  Granted,
Billy's parts were not brand new. Someone else had done the reverse of
what we did. We had a full permanent double bed that we swapped out for
a high back couch which opened to a double bed. This provided a roomy
atmosphere in our center bedroom ('77 31'). It also provided floor
space for an island table easily disassembled when the couch was opened
to a bed. We replaced the foam in the couch when the entire interior
was refurbished. My wife and I found the couch double bed exceptionally
comfortable and attractive.

When I did the job, we parked in Billy's gated service area and I
swapped out everything myself  and installed everything myself. One of
Billy's service men checked on my progress several times and would have
done the work for me had I needed assistance. Although Billy is no
longer an Airstream dealer, his quonset hut style storage buildings are
still full of Airstream components. Perhaps he has what you need.

If I wanted to do what you are considering - this year, I'd go to Billy
(or Eric) with some other job (any job) that I wanted done and then use
the inevitable down time - to have one of his servicemen look for what
I wanted. Finding things in the storage buildings is not as easy as one
might expect.

This is an old dealership with a long history of saving used components
in hopes that someday, someone will need something no one else has in
stock. An inventory system may have existed in the past. The good part
is Billy's service people have long memories for what may or might be
in storage. Allowing them to find it requires patience and supportive
encouragement without being under foot or interrupting other jobs they
may be doing simultaneously.

This dealership is not a modern place nor does it sell Airstreams
anymore. But if I were you and wanted gracious southern hospitality
with considerate service people, I'd call him so he expected me and
then I'd dust off all my "laid back" attitudes and go there with a full
water tank and empty holding tanks.

There will be no frantic pace of servicemen whose work is dictated by
efficiency experts. That work ethic has not arrived at this dealership.
Instead, our experience has been with service men who showed competence
and a thorough understanding of what need to be done and then, it was
done - right - the first time. Others may have had different
experiences. So be it. We'll continue to do business with Billy Pollard
and his crew whenever the need exists and we're in the vicinity.

Good Luck,

Terry