[A/S] Re: Vintage towing... advise needed.

RWG:

I towed a late 1960's Airstream single axle with my 1976 fullsize
Chevy Van 3/4 ton.  The first hitch I used was on the van to tow my
sailboat and it bent from the hitch weight of the Airstream so I had
the dealer install a proper hitch.  We measured the hitch weight and
it came out to be about 15% to 20% of the weight of the Airstream,
depending on how full the water tank was.  We towed with the black
and grey tanks empty.

Our rig was easy to drive and never had any problem, so I believe a
heavy tongue weight and a short distance from the tow vehicle rear
axle to the hitch ball produce a happy camper.

CMP, the retired former AS owner