[A/S] Modern Tug units - vintage Tug units...

I too enjoy having a modern tow rig and a vintage tow rig (or two or three...)
to choose from -  to keep my hobby options both fun and practical at the same
time.

I understand that you approach their use(s) from two entirely different camps
of thinking and driving.

Kevin mentions the old style Jeep Wagoneers - and it's interesting to note that
they are now starting to show up as "collectible" (look at the dealer ads in
Hemmings).

The old Wagoneers are in that gray zone at the moment - where many are just
old-old  drivers and some are now being treated as collectible. (to each his
own!)

The old (big)Wagoneers - 1991 was the last year - were certainly a mixed bag
when it came to their heritage.  First introduced as a 1963 model as a
Kaiser-Jeep -(  it evolved from the earlier Willys Jeep wagon line) , then it
became an American Motors Jeep in 1970 and then a Chrysler Jeep in 1987.
Throughout those years there were many power plants - from 6 cylinder - to V8's
ranging from 327's (which I believe was an AMC 327...not a GM
327....very confusing during those days) and GM 350's and Chrysler 360's and
AMC 401's.

The last time I looked at a vintage Wagoneer - it was a spotless 1986 model -
but when I had it checked out - it had a vacuum leak...and due to it's
pre-computerized pollution controls...the engine bay was a sea of vacuum
hoses....and so I passed.

I still keep my eye out for the nice ones...and today would take on the
challenge of maintaining the pre-historic emission controls.  They feature
heavy duty construction and great 4x4 systems.  Keep in mind that the build
quality over the years fluctuated...due to it's being a bit of an orphan until
finally settling into the Chrylser household.  Odd that it was an orphan for so
long - when it was a money maker.  That is why AMC had to sell it to raise
cash - as they were on there way down...and Chrysler was happy to make it their
own.

Keep an eye out for those clean old Wagoneers....pre-1992!

RL

1957 Flying Cloud
1964 Dodge 440 Station Wagon - 426 V8
1977 Mercury Grand Marquis Station Wagon - 460 V8
2004 Honda Pilot - 3.5 V6