RE: [A/S] Deep Tinted windows - etc.

Hi Patti,
I totally agree with Hunter on the fact you will have a big blind spot if
you don't have the convex mirrors of some kind. I can have a car beside me
in the blind spot that does not show in the main mirror or my eye sight "at
all", and yet see the entire car plus more space in the little convex
mirror. Hunter mentions the small stick on round ones. I will give you an
alternative that I and everyone that has tried them feel is the best they
have ever seen. They come from the original makers of your mirrors that come
on your truck "Power Vision"   http://powervisionmirrors.com/   and as you
can see in the picture on the web page, they clamp to the top of your
mirrors - no holes. (Go to the page and click on "Models and Specs" in the
upper left, then scroll all the way to the bottom of that page to "Auxiliary
Mirrors". You can order them direct for $12.99 each) The mirror inside is
adjustable, so it can be set to give you max coverage of your blind spot.
You will find the blind spot moves slightly when you extend the truck
mirrors, and if you are a stickler for not moving your head to see
everything behind you, you can adjust for the change of extending the truck
mirrors. I only make a change in mine if I am going to be towing for days on
end for a long trip. The adjustment is not power driven, so you either have
to do several get out and walk around trips or get someone to adjust the
passenger side small mirror for you while you direct them from the drivers
seat.
I gave a set of these to my brother in law along with a set of the Power
Vision mirrors for his 2003 Chevy truck. He took them to an installer shop
to get the big mirrors installed. The installers were so impressed they all
ordered them a set of the small mirrors, and added them to the list of
things they sell at their shop. Bill told me recently that the shop owner
told him they sell 15 to 20 sets of the small mirrors per month, and have
never had a complaint.
I have played around with where to mount mine along the top of the big
mirror for the best looks and functionality. I ended up with the small
mirror just about in the center of the straight portion of the top of the
big mirror. I think it gives the most balanced look, and it works just as
well there from a vision standpoint. The vision part will work any place
along the top, because of the adjustability, but the look you want is up to
you.
While I am on the subject, someone questioned the ability to see around a
wide body Airstream with the factory installed power extending mirrors. My
input to that is a qualified "Yes". The qualified part is the fact that I
have to move my head from side to side out of my normal setting position in
order to see all the way down the side of my 34' trailer. I can see the side
marker lights back at the back end of the trailer if I just lean over
slightly from my normal setting position. I think it would be nice if the
mirrors would extend another inch or two from that aspect. This is not a
problem with watching traffic, but would be nice sometimes when backing into
small spaces with low to the ground objects you need to watch - like sewer
connection locations and such.

Joe Scudder
2004 GMC 2500 HD D/A Power