RE: [A/S] Re: Swinging on the Ball

Hit the emergency lever or button on your trailer brake controller.

The problem is that most people think of the lever/button as something used
to test the brakes, rather than thinking about being able to instinctively
reach for it (let alone locating it) during an emergency.  I really think
someone like BrakeSmart needs to consider adding a package that installs yaw
sensors front and back of the trailer and communicates back to the
Brakesmart when sway is detected. (the BrakeSmart can communicate digitally
over the existing 12V brake wire). Once sway was detected, the BrakeSmart
could quickly apply just enough trailer braking current to pull the rig back
into alignment.  This would drastically shorten the response time during a
sway condition.  Granted A/Ss are not prone to sway, but under the right
conditions, ANY towed rig can get into a sway situation and unfortunately,
virtually no one is really prepared to react as quickly as they should.  I
also hate to think about someone looking down to find the stupid lever or
button during an emergency situation.  When I was installing my Jordon
controller, my ability to easily, without looking down, find the button was
paramount in the location I mounted it.  I also run a Hensley, so I have
gone the extra mile to preclude sway, but given the option to install an
active sway monitoring/dampening system, I would do so in an instant.  Guess
I believe in hedging my bets anyway possible.  Once you see a towed rig go
into induced resonance sway, it makes you realize how quickly and without
warning it can occur (happened to me 25 years ago will pulling a 2 wheel
utility trailer, no trailer brakes...fortunately I was able to rapidily
accelerate and pull the thing back under control).

David