[A/S] tow vehicle questions

In my search for a tow vehicle, I'm confused by something the salesman
told me.

Everything I've read says you need to be sure that your front and rear
axle weight ratings are enough to carry the load on the hitch.  I asked
the salesman what the gross axle weight rating was for front & rear on
the tow vehicle I'm considering -- he said 4,061 and 3,634.  That adds
up to 7,695.  The vehicle's GVWR is 9,200.

Shouldn't the gross weight rating of front and rear axles total at least
9,200?  On my car, the front and rear gross rating exactly equals the
car's GVWR.  On my minivan, they total more than the vehicle's GVWR.

Also, for listmembers who have diesels, is an engine block heater a good
  idea?  I'm hearing conflicting things.  I live in southern New
England, and it does get below freezing at night fairly regularly.

Claudette