Re: [A/S] Univolt overcharging

Bob,

You have a definite problem and hopefully it is the meter as that is the
cheapest to fix...

First, if it is NOT a digital meter, don't trust it.   Get another meter,
beg or borrow a known good digital voltmeter to make a comparison test.

Second, if you still have anything over approximately 14 volts DC to a
fully charged battery, then you have a more expensive problem,  the older
Univolts have a history of this and you should upgrade to one of the new
solid state electronic replacement  types such as the Intele-power 9100
with the Charge Wizard option that Camping World sells.  I mention this
particular model as it is listed presently in the Camping World Holiday
Sale flyer I have open in front of me as an example of the type. It is not
a recommendation for this particular model, there are several makers and
other models equally as good I assume.

Last but not least, be sure your battery is good and connected with
corrosion free connections, I use an electrical grease compound called
No-Alox available at any good electrical supply place, its made for
aluminum wiring to copper and brass connections, however years of
experience has taught me No-Alox is the perfect protection for even copper
wiring connections in DC automotive, RV, and marine systems, I use it
faithfully on anything of this type here on Cape Cod where corrosion is a
major issue.

Last but not least, the battery itself maybe old and tired or cooked by
overcharging, the internal resistance goes up with age and use, and if you
are truly seeing 16 volts across the battery itself, chances are you  have
a cooked battery.

Ideally, a fully charged battery should sit with a maintenance charge at
13.2-13.4 volts, and with no charge about 12.5 to 12.7 volts if it is fully
charged and no load.   In warm weather while being used and charging, you
will see voltages in the order of 13.8 to 14.4 Volts typically, and a
really cold weather charge voltage can be higher even under extremes up to
15.5 volts. Temperatures and battery age vary these voltages, however if
you are truly seeing 16 volts across the battery, you have a major problem
the least of which is a probably a cooked battery and a charger that does
not have any regulation. It is my opinion both should be replaced.

--
Mitch Hill - K1FH
WBCCI 21960