[A/S] Re: single or duel axel?

Greetings burnsmontyc!

I have owned both single and tandem axle coaches, in both Airstream
and Brand X models.  What I have found with my Airstream products is
that since the coaches seem to be very well balanced from their
original engineering, they are very stable irregardless of whether
the coach is single or tandem axle equipped.  I have had very limited
indication of sway with either of my current Airstream products.  The
keys are to have the proper towing equipment (weight distributing
hitch and sway control), and to carefully pack both the tow vehicle
and coach (I have found with both of my coaches that they tow much
better with full fresh water tanks and empty waste water tanks).  I
have towed my Airstream coaches many thousands of miles with a Reese
Strait-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control with absolute
satisfaction.

When a choice between tandem and single axle is made in the Airstream
world, it is more one of preference than function - - unlike my Brand
X coaches, the Airstream products with single axles have been just as
stable as my tandem axle unit.  The biggest difference that I notice
when switching between the two coaches is that the tandem axle coach
is MUCH easier to back into a spot and hit the spot that I desire.
The single axle coach reacts MUCH more quickly to inputs from the tow
vehicle, especially when backing, which makes it somewhat more
difficult to park (IMHO).  The single axle coach can be a little more
prone to sway, but with my Airstream product it has been something
easily controlled through attention to loading and selection of a
good hitch system (IMHO).  So long as the coach is loaded within its
GVWR and the tow vehicle and equipment are properly matched to the
coach then either coach impresses me as an absolutely stable
traveling companion.

The one time when a tandem axle coach is preferrable to a single axle
coach is in the event of a tire blow-out or flat.  I have had one on
both a single-axle (Brand X) and on my tandem axle (Airstream).  The
blow-out on the single axle was much more evident in the handling of
the coach/tow vehicle, while on the tandem axle the blow-out was
barely evident (an unexpected bang was all that alerted me on the
tandem coach).  The other plus for the tandem axle coach in the event
of a flat or blow-out is that it is possible to go into a "Limp-Home"
mode on three tires/wheels to get safely off of the highway if not to
the nearest repair facility; flat changing is also easier with a
tandem as you can back or pull the good tire (on that side) up on
blocks to raise the coach eliminating the need for a jack when
changing a flat.

So far as ride is concerned, with an Airstream product it seems to be
more an issue of axle condition, shock condition, and proper
inflation of tires than a single versus tandem axle question.  With a
vintage coach the condition of the DuraTorque axle(s) is a key to a
coach with proper ride characteristics (height as well as
smoothness).  Obviously, with a tandem axle coach you will be looking
at twice as many tires to maintain, twice as many sets of brakes to
maintain, twice as many sets of wheel bearings to maintain, twice as
many sets of shocks to maintain, and twice as many axles to replace
should the need ever arise - - so the expense of maintaining the
running gear of a tandem axle coach will be higher.

Prior to my experience with my Airstream single axle (Argosy Minuet
6.0 Metre), my advice to a novice considering a travel trailer would
have been to avoid a single axle.  Given my experience with
Airstream, I would say look for the floorplan and size that best
suits you.  The differences in towing performance between the single
and tandem axle Airstream product coaches is negligible so long as
the tow vehicle and towing equipment have been properly matched to
the coach.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)