[A/S] Re: Value: 1979 Argosy Minuet 60

Greetomgs meargosy!

The Minuets have begun to develop a following in recent months, and
the values seem to have crept up rather quickly.  A little over two
years ago, $1,000 to $3,000 would have been a typical value for a
Minuet in the condition that you describe.  Today, depending to some
degree on what part of the country the coach happens to be in, the
value range would likely be from $2,000 to $4,000 (IMHO).  The two
big issues keeping the value from being higher are the inoperable
refrigerator and the lack of an air conditioner.  You might want to
read through the material on the Vintage Airstream Price vs.
Condition web page on R. J. Dial's website as it will give you some
idea of the evaluation process that a potential buyer may utilize:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_pricevscondition.html

Additional items that, based upon my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre, may impact
the value of your coach are:

1.  Even though it doesn't currently have an air conditioner, did it
come equipped with the optional air conditioner preparation package.
It is my understanding that this was an option on the Minuets while
it was standard on the regular Argosy line.  The way that I was able
to determine that my Minuet came with the preparation package was
that the previous owner (the gentleman who purchased it new) told me
it was an option that he had ordered and there was a blank outlet
cover in the cieling where the air conditoner wiring was found.

2.  The axle, unless your coach is a fortunate exception to the
general rule, is likely ready for replacement.  You can check the
axle condition using the procedures described on the Inland RV
website at:  http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-
92001.htm.  It seems that most if not all 6.0 Metre Minuet owners
with whom I have spoken either have replaced or are planning on
replacing the axle - - one of the reminders is the tendency to drag
the rear bumper whenever crossing a dip entering or exiting a
driveway.

Your Minuet may have a feature that was found only on Minuets.  The
floor may be aluminum composite rather than plywood which virtually
eliminates concerns about floor rot.  The down side is that floor
covering choices become more difficult as you must deal with the rows
of rivets utilized to attach the floor to the chassis.  The aluminum
composite flooring will also result in greater flex than the typical
plywood flooring as well.  Most, but not all, Minuet 6.0 Metres had
the aluminum composite flooring while some Minuet 6.7 Metres had the
feature as well.

I have owned my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre for a little more than two
years, and have had most of the refurbishing completed.  It needed an
air conditioner, water pump, Univolt, tires, axle, shocks, front
window rock guard, water heater, upholtery and foam replacement, new
drapes, floor covering, credenza table replacement, OPD valves for
the Worthington Tanks, new water supply valve for shower, new faucet
sets in bath and kitchen, and television antenna.  I was fortunate in
that the original Dometic refrigerator continues to operate
flawlessly, but the coach is waiting for its repaint to complete its
refurbishment.  I purchased the coach through a regular classified
advertisement on the VAC website a little over two years ago for
something less than $2,000, and have since invested a little over
$6,000 in its refurbishment.

The Minuets are fun, easy to tow coaches, and I suspect that you
won't have too much trouble finding a buyer for yours once you have
decided upon a price.

Good luck with your pricing decision!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Edlorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)