[A/S] Wheel-thing: What is it?

Airstream CCD 2002

Getting back from Utah last week we backed into the driveway and I
noticed a metallic scraping sound coming from the wheel area.  On
examination I found one of the wheels' inside hubs had a metal hook
sticking out of one of the oval holes.  It wouldn't come completely
out as the other end looked like a coiled spring and was too large
for that hole.  I can't tell if it's attached to anything.
Can't pull it out but would be able to push it back in.  Is it part
of the brakes?  Does it need to be re-attached in there?

What is it?!?  I've tried to contact my dealer's fix-it shop but they
are not returning my calls as yet.

I'm afraid to pull it anywhere as long as it's situated like that and
making so much noise.
Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Christine Aichelman