[A/S] Transmission Pros and Cons

I'd be interested in a discussion and anecdotes of listees on this topic.

I notice that most professional truck drivers have manual transmissions (with many gears)
to keep their big diesels running at the optimum RPM.  I guess that the direct mechanical
connection between the engine and the drive wheels on the road is more efficient (no
slippage), but what about starting on a grade, negotiating through heavy traffic, etc.
I've pulled my A/S through San Francisco's hilly streets once (LOL).  Also, what are pros
and cons regarding the engine/transmission combination (diesel-manual, diesel-automatic,
gas-manual, gas-automatic).  We generally have much smaller engines (either diesel or
gas) than the big truck drivers.

Comments?
Jim, now in California