[A/S] Bedroom drapies

Sorry folks another question but this room seems to have a large
knowledge base.  I have an Airstream 34' Limited Edition.  The
bedroom is in the back but the comforter and the curtain balances are
drab and so I've bought a new comforter.  While buying the comforter
I bought some additional drapies that match the comforter with the
thought I would change out the curtain balance that come with the
airstream.  I will save all the original as that's very important
sometimes to folks who want all of the original stuff.  My question
is:  do you have to screw the drapery balance as a total out of the
wall or can you somehow lift the balance out of the connections that
are screwed into the wall?  Also can you just buy the metal portion
of the balance and cover it with the material rather than cover over
the old balance?  The Airstream right now is getting repairs at the
Airstream Dealership in Missouri so I don't have it on hand so that's
why I am asking questions plus I am hoping some of ya'll might have
already been down this road.  Hope this makes sense.  And being a guy
it doesn't exactly fall into my expertise but I do realize that the
current curtain balance doesn't match the new comforter and needs
replacement.

Wally