[A/S] Sticky Stuff

Lou,

Zolotone is the textured paint surface found on Airstream walls from about
1952 - late 60's.  My current 1964 trailer has this paint.  I was very lucky
and the surface was really not very dirty.  I just used a little mild soap
and water to wipe off the dust.  The door was dirty and I used Nature's
Orange by Trewax to clean that and it worked well.  Not really enough
cleaning to evaluate how it does on Zolotone.  The 31'er though took a
couple days (My arms got tired reaching over my head so I had to take some
breaks) but cleaned up nicely.  This was the cleaner recommended by RJ of
http://vintageairstream.com and it really does work.

For more info on Zolotone look under interiors at airstream.nets FAQ
http://airstream.net/FAQ/FAQ_index.html

Although many cleaners may work get vinyl clean, you need to be careful what
cleaner you choose.  Some cleaners take out the plastizers from Vinyl. This
will leave the vinyl brittle over time.

I have several 70's and 80's Wally Byam Store Catalogs.  In there they
advertize a product called VINYL MAGIC.  This was the product that was
recommended to clean the Vinyl Airstream walls.  It comes in an arosole can.
I have seen a product called VINYL MAGIC in an arosole can (looks to be the
same) in some hardware or Auto Stores.  (Ace and Orchard).  I am not sure it
would be strong enough to clean walls that have been neglected and full of
smoke but it might be interesting to try for the final clean up anyway.

Shirley