Re: [A/S] Shopping soon for used AS and have a few questions

> I already know of many things to look for on used RV's (water leaks,
> etc) but are there any known problems for these model years or
> trailers of this age?>

Not really.... the biggest problems seem to be mid 70s models...with rear
baths...

> <Should I expect the same type of pressure at a dealership as if I was
> buying a used car?  i.e. "There was a couple looking at that
> Airstream yesterday and they said they would buy it later today.
> This may be your only chance."  I assume a line like this would be a
> bunch of bull, since I think Airstreams only appeal to a select group
> of people and probably stay on dealer's lots for a while.>

Airstreams are snapped up fast...... they don't sit for long. It's also rare
to find one on a dealer's lot..... I think most are either sold on the
internet privately, or in classified ads in the paper,.... or the dealer has a
waiting list. Will they give you a line of bull?  Depends on the dealer. To me the
biggest line of bull isn't the price it's that you can tow an Airstream with
any little SUV.

> <Also, if purchasing used from a dealer, I know to test everything
> before closing the deal.  Assuming the water system has been
> winterized and there are no house batteries installed, how do I go
> about this?  In other words, should I first insist on a
> demonstration, or go ahead and negotiate a price, but have in
> writting that the deal is only good if everything works?>

Get a demonstration......

> Finally, when it comes to the sale price, should I use the NADA web
> site as a guide or is there a rule of thumb for average dealer mark-
> up?  I plan on writting a check for it, paying in full.  Does that
> give me any leverage in negotiations or work against me since the
> dealer makes no interest?>

Chances are you will buy from a private party.  As for the NADA price.....  I
wouldn't make that the final word..... if you find one you like and it's *the
one* then get it down as much as you can and buy it.

Hunter