Re: [A/S] Further to the Touareg discussion

As I recall, the original problem with the Touareg towing an Airstream (or
other travel trailer) had to do with an inadequate hitch receiver for a
weight equalizing hitch.

The Touareg is a unit body (no frame) design, so the hitch receiver is a bit
tricky, since it can only fasten to reinforced stress points capable of
handling the load.

It sounds like VW has come up with a Factory receiver (but it could be an
aftermarket one).  I will give my VW dealer parts manager a call and find
out.

I looked at the Touareg when they officially introduced it several month
ago.  With my engineering background, the vehicle looks very impressive.
Excellent suspension and four wheel (all wheel) drive system.  Assuming an
adequate hitch receiver, the only caveat I can think of would be its short
wheelbase.  On the plus side is the very short rear overhang from the rear
wheels.

Oliver Filippi