[A/S] Re: Towing

 Hi, Wheelbase length is very important, but just as important is
the "hookup" distance. The distance from the center of the rear axle
to the center of the ball. The shorter the better. It gives the truck
much better "leverage" when handeling the trailer. A long wheel base
can be offset alot by too long a "hookup". That's why I prefer taking
the box off the truck, chopping off all the excess frame, mounting a
stainless steel bumper as close to the differential as possible. Then
I build the receiver as close as possible. By reduceing the hookup by
about a foot, you effectively increase the wheelbase. I then build an
alum flatbed box to suit my trailering needs. But a lot of people
don't care to give up the box they just paid $30k for. If you use an
extended cab truck, you can gain a little wheelbase length. I don't
like backing them up. Reduced visibility thru the rear window.
Another thing I like about a flatbed is backing up. I look in the
outside mirror and know just where the corner of the rear bumper is.
When you consider that SUV's have a shorter "hookup" than a standard
pickup, maybe the wheelbase isn't as short as they may appear. Good
luck...Arnie