[A/S] Re: draining the freshwater tank

Phyllis, you should be able to replace the pump with or without a
full tank. I have towed our Airstream with a full tank and empty and
cannot really tell a difference. If you are worried about the extra
weight making a difference in how it will tow, by it having a low
center of gravity and being positioned over and slightly favored
towards the front of the trailer, this  makes a towing advantage when
it is full of water. Like Mike said earlier in this post, it will put
more tongue weight on the trailer which can make it follow better. If
I were you, I would not be over concerned about the extra weight. I
have had 3 Airstreams over the years and have been towing them since
1988. I hope this helps, but I don't mean to talk you into something
that you may not want to do, but this is the experience I have had
over the years.
Richard