Re: [A/S] Leaky shower

RGH,
There is no easy answer to your question.  I suggest you get under the
trailer and look in the wheel well.  Do you see rubber tire marks inside the
wheel well?  If you do, your plumbing problem may be symptomatic of other
potentially larger problems.  If the tires are the only remaining means of
suspension, then you likely have worn-out axles.  A good description of how
to examine the axles can be found at inlandrv.com.

Additionally, the following symptoms can indicate a weakened (drooping in
the rear) frame: conditions include, broken plumbing, interior walls pushing
up into the ceiling, or cabinetry (especially near the galley) seperating
from the interior skin.  Noticiably perceivable rises and falls in the wood
sub-floor (esp. in front of, and rear of the wheel wells) can also indicate
frame problems.  All trailers built since 1984 have strengthened frames in
the area where the axles bolt on.  Longer trailers built before 1984 (like
your and mine) are suceptible to frame problems.

We have a '63 rear bath Ambassador, and found two of the 3 drain lines were
cracked and leaking.  This discovery came in the process of replacing a
section of rotted 5/8 inch plywood at the rear of the coach.  I had to
remove the bath/shower enclosure, two wardrobes,  the vanity, the toilet and
black water tank to replace the rotted floor.  Once I removed that section
of floor, it was clear that the rear most as well as the first frame
crossmeber were both compromised by rust. To remove the rotted section of
flooring, I had to cut the plumbing in three locations.  To get at the
plumbing, and to reinforce the frame, we removed a section of the belly pan.
Further investigation revealed that the rubber torsion axles had failed,
completely.  I am now installing not only two new axles, but also a frame
strengthing kit (from Airstream), a new U channel for the rear bow, and a
new section of belly pan, to replace what was cut out.  All of these steps
add up to an extraordinary amount of work, especially when it is a weekend p
rojectun to put it all back together again.  I can say, we still went on our
summer trip, but instead of sleeping in our silver coach, we slept in a
tent.

A good place for you to seek answers is from those who have been there and
done this.  Check www.tompatterson.com On his main page there is a "Search
Site (Google)" button that will help you find subject specific information
from many elist members.  Good Luck with your project.
Chris Siiteri