Lockset Replacement & Inland RV

I just want to set my statements straight. I just got email from Andy. He
feels that my "negative" comments were hurting him. And, Andy can be easy
to get his feelings hurt.

1. I never made any negative comments. My tounge and cheek statments about
"screaming like a wounded eagle" were meant to be sarcasm not criticism.

2. Airstream has tremendously increased the prices. Andy's prices are still
below Airstream. I've checked around enough to see that. If I can find it
cheaper elsewhere, I buy it else where. But, if it's a one of a kind, I
call Andy and get it.
I pay the costs, with steam rolling out of my ears, but I pay it because
it's the only game in town...and Andy is a pretty astute business man. He
cornered the market on Airstream axles...and that wasn't greed. It was simple
good business.
The value of an object is really determined by a few things... The number of
them available and your willingness to spend money to own that particular
object. And, what someone else is willing to pay more than you are to get
it.

3. Andy and I have argued multiple times about what his costs are and what
many users on this list feel is fair. Justice does not mean fair...and
business isn't either. It COSTS to have a business. Especially in California,
where everything is taxed and a glass of ice water costs. Employee salaries,
rent, lights, gas, water, repairs, phones, etc are costs that have to be paid
monthly...and those California costs are reflected in his California prices.
When Airstream is charging him $600 for a lock...and people expect him to sell
that lock for $150, because they feel that no lock is worth $600...something's
got to give. Andy is in business to make money. We are ALL in some type of
business to make money. These parts are scarce. You either pay what the market
demands or you do without. If everyone goes someplace else, then he will go
out of business. I don't think this is going to happen...too many people go
there to get the parts that only Andy has...pay for their stuff and go
home...and never get on any Airstream list to find out that they just "been
ripped off...."

4. Shop around. If you call Andy for a quote and the price is too high...go
somewhere else. About 75% of the time, you are going to find that you can't
get the part from anyone other than Andy. So, if you can find it
elsewhere...buy it elsewhere and let us know about it. You vote with your
dollars and your feet.  Go someplace else.

5. I watch ebay and see where there is some "vintage" parts for sale. And,
people bid the heck out of it...and pay thru the nose too for something
"original". When something just about as good is available. To them original
is the only thing they want. You buy scarce original...you pay for the
originality and the scarcity of that particular original. You won't get it
cheap and you won't get it easy.

6. You ever noticed who wins at the auction? It sure ain't the guy with the
opening bid...

7. How many of you have called Andy on his 800 number to get some information?
How many have asked for his local number so that you can call him back on YOUR
nickel??? That WATS line costs. You talk on it because Andy is willing to pay
for you to play. And, the costs of those calls are reflected in his prices.
If you want the convienence of a WATS line then someone has to pay for it...and
it's going to be the buyers. It's the law of the jungle.

Ok, I've finally had my say...and I'm probably off the list. But, it was worth
it to finally say it.

Lefty
leftyfrizzell@e...