Re: [A/S] Size of A/S - 25' or 29' ?

Hello Bob and Betty,

I have a 25' Tradewind, and think it is the ideal size for several reasons,
which may or may not be applicable to your situation.

A 25 footer is the shortest model which can separate the sleeping area from
the cooking and eating, and entertaining area. I think this is an essential
livability feature. Comfort wise, the 25' Tradewind does not require you to
compromise your living standard. My '76 has the same size fresh water tank
and black water tank as the larger models, so it's boondocking capability is
as good as a larger trailer.

Also, the 25 footer is short enough to maneuver fairly easily and will also
allow you to stay at most campgrounds. Some campgrounds that I have stayed
at (had) will not allow long trailers as the "roads" or driveways in them
do not provide sufficient room to maneuver large (long) rigs. Granted, the
ones with the length restrictions are probably the least luxurious (state or
county parks, etc.). However, I have found that one of the neatest things
about having a trailer is the ability to visit places that are not that well
developed, (do not have great accommodations - motels and hotel rooms are
scarce or non existent) or a little off the beaten track, which have
interesting things to see or visit. If I only went to fully equipped,
"resort type" campgrounds, I would probably seriously consider a longer
trailer.

Obviously, a long wheelbase tow vehicle will reduce your maneuverability.
Many years ago, I towed with a (then) full size, two door Chevy Blazer.
It's short wheelbase made for easy parking and backing up, yet the heavy
frame and large tires made it a strong and stable tow vehicle. Nowadays, I
use an extended cab short bed pickup which is, clearly, not as maneuverable
as the old Blazer.

Finally, the smaller trailers are lighter and hence are easier to tow (burn
less fuel).

Let me close with this analogy:
When I was a lot younger, my father had a medium size cabin cruiser. Many
of his friends started with small boats and kept trading up to larger and
larger ones. In the end, the boat got so big that it was a major production
to take it anywhere. So, you guessed it, they then sold the big boat and
got a smaller one. Most of these boaters would tell you that they had the
most fun and enjoyment with the smaller boat (which had the basic comforts,
but not much more). I think there is some similarity here in chosing a
travel trailer.

So, you pay your money and take your choice. Whatever turns you on. I tend
to buy things for the functionality and use I expect to get out of it, and
the satisfaction I get from owning a quality product. I am not one who buys
things for "bragging rights" i.e. "the biggest", " the most expensive",
etc., though I do like "the best"- hence the Airstream.

Oliver Filippi