[A/S] Diesel & stick shift issues

I think Jerry's info is correct - diesels have much higher
compression (they ignite the air/fuel charge with the heat of
compression, so they're very hard to crank over), but they don't have
any restriction on the amount of air intake, so compression braking
is much less than with an equivalent-displacement gas engine.
Unless, of course, an exhaust brake of some sort is added.

Having said that, I confess to not really understanding how the GM
Allison 5-speed auto and the new Ford 5-speed auto really provide
effective engine braking in "tow-haul" mode, although I know they do
since I've experienced it by driving both.  The Ford has a
variable-pitch turbo, so I've been imagining that it may play a role
in this phenomenon, but that doesn't explain the Duramax/Allison's
behavior.

I also think Barbara's info is correct about an automatic trans
typically having an easier time getting a load rolling than a manual
trans.  The reason is the automatic's torque converter.  Its "stall
ratio" is typically 2.5:1 or thereabouts (I'm not claiming this is
the ration for the diesel 5-speed autos), which means that it's
capable of multiplying the torque by (the stall ratio) times (the low
gear ratio).  That figure usually is considerably larger than the
low-gear ratio of a manual transmission.  When that's true, the
automatic will have an easier time getting a load rolling than a
manual because it multiplies low-speed engine torque more.

The issue of which type of trans to buy, though, is a very personal
one.  Both types have been used successfully for years, and both have
their adherents.  My personal vote is for an automatic - at their
best, they're effective, convenient and reliable.  Unfortunately, not
all are that way (Dodge in particular has had problems with
automatics standing up to diesel torque).

Any corrections are gratefully solicited.  And while I'm at it,
perhaps someone has an answer for this one:  diesels with turbos are
notoriously good at towing at altitude because the turbo helps
compensate for the thinner atmospheric pressure.  I'm wondering about
the nature and limits of this effect.  In particular, are the
turbodiesels from the Big 3 capable of providing cylinder-filling
pressures comparable to those at sea level when the rig is at, say,
10,000 feet, or is the turbo capable of replacing some (but not all)
of what otherwise would be a considerable loss of cylinder-filling
pressure?  That is, do today's turbos eliminate, or just reduce,
power loss due to altitude?

Stan