Re: [A/S] Re; Expedition

I have no tangible experience with the 2003 Ford Expedition, but I suspect
that with the proper powerplant/drive train it could make an excellent tow
vehicle.

The 2003 Expedition has a four wheel independent suspension, with front AND
REAR sway bars.  It was designed by a former Porsche suspension engineer
that Ford hired to fix the Explorer rollover problem.

A friend who has one (but does not tow a trailer) says that the ride and
handling is better than his family sedan.

With a good suspension that can keep all four of the tow vehicle's wheels
planted firmly on the pavement, and a good weight distributing hitch, and a
properly adjusted brake controller, such a rig should have no trouble going
rapidly  from 70 mph to zero in a straight line.

This also assumes that the trailer's brakes are up to snuff.

Back in the 70's, Airstream used to claim that a car towing an  Airstream
could stop in a shorter distance while towing an Airstream than the car
could by itself.  Of course this was before anti lock brakes.

Granted, a longer wheelbase tow vehicle (all other things being equal) is an
advantage (except in manuvering in tight spaces).  However, as long as the
tow vehicle has a strong enough frame and power train, plus a good (properly
set up) weight distributing hitch, and  good brakes and tires on both the
tow vehicle and trailer you should be OK.

In the mid 70's, I towed a 25' Tradewind with a full size Chevy Blazer and
Reese dual cam hitch. I was very happy with this arrangement.  In spite of
the Blazer's short wheelbase, it was stable on the highway and had great
maneuverability getting into and out of camp sites. I did install an
aftermarket  rear sway bar on the Blazer, though.

Oliver Filippi