Re: [A/S] 28' Excella Tow Vehicle Question

Gary,
 Get a 3/4-ton truck, with a Diesel. You'll be looking at something 6-8
years old at your budget, but you should be able to find something with not
much more than 100,000 miles on it for that money. A one-ton truck will
work, of course, but it'd be a bit of overkill, IMO.

A larger truck will simply do a better job. It'll probably have a
transmission cooler and tow package on it, the frame is heavier, the brakes
and axles are heavier-duty, etc, etc.

Expect to do some work on ANY older vehicle. The smart thing to do would be
to replace the alternator, starter, water pump, belts and hoses (including
the brake hoses), ALL fluids (including brake fluid and coolant) and have it
checked out in all other departments. Spend the time & money up front and
you'll be rewarded with trouble-free driving.

BTW: I'm not saying that I do all of the "smart things" above, but I do many
of them.

                                                            <<Jim>>