Re: [A/S] Charge rates from tow vehicle

I got my relay (mentioned in a previous message) from NAPA. It looks exactly
like the typical Ford starter relay ("solenoid") and has a continuous-duty
rated coil that draws maybe an amp. I connect the coil to the ACC line, so
the trailer battery is not connected until after the engine is started.

One other thing I do when I wire a trailer connector (I've done 3 trucks in
the past few years) is use a Hoppy lighting isolator that draws power
directly from the truck battery to power the trailer lights. The gadget is
"triggered" by the truck lights, so there's very little draw on the flasher,
brake light switch, and light switch. Plus, a short in the trailer won't
affect the truck lights at all.

Like you, I don't worry much about how well the vehicle alternator charges
the trailer batteries because we have solar panels also.

                                                  <<Jim>>