[A/S] Re: AGM's and cost

If you install two 55AH batteries, you might start with 100% of that
capacity the first day, but about the most you'll get them back to
with a few hours of solar, generator, or vehicle alternator is 90%.
If you want to keep them above 50% charge, you only have 40% of that
110AH or 44AH/day to work with.

If we assume running a generator from 6PM to 10PM every evening
during lights, vent fans, water pump, hot water heater,
TV/antenna/sat receiver, etc usage (about 25AH w/o TV, 35AH w/2
hours), while charging the batteries, we only have to deal with about
20 hours of electrical power for other things.

I haven't measured it, but the LP detector and refrigerator circuit
board probably draw about 250 mA so that's about 10AH over 20 hours.

The refrigerator gas solenoid should draw about an amp when the flame
is on, so if that's 50% of the time, we have another 10AH over 20
hours.

If we don't run the water heater during that 20 hours, we don't have
to worry about it's 1A gas solenoid.

If it's a little warm during the day only, and you can get by with
the Fantastic Vent on low for about 2A over 12 hours/day, that's 24AH
and there's your 44AH.

If it's little cool during the night and early morning hours, and the
7.5A furnace runs a 25% of the time for 12 hours, that's 22.5AH and
you're pretty close to your 44AH.

So 55AH AGMs might be doable if we ran a generator daily, and didn't
boondock when it was too warm or cool.  I wouldn't want those
limitations.

Without the Fantastic Vent or furnace, about the minimum usage we
could get by with would be 45AH/day with no TV, radio, etc.  Even
starting with a pair of 115AH Trojan Group 27 12V batteries at 100%
charge (230AH), 3 days usage with no generator would take them down
to about 40% charge.

If we want to boondock in warmer or cooler weather, or not have to be
so frugal, I'd rather have 115AH batteries AND the daily generator
usage with the AC voltage luxuries.

--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446