Re: [A/S] Truck maintanance

It's been my experience that if you have oil seepage with dino oil,
(Harleys being the best example) synthetic will make it worse (i.e.
seeping through gaskets, etc)... sometimes significantly worse.  So
with worn rings, and especially worn valve stem seals, I can see why
some are hesitant to use it on high-mileage vehicles.

I use it in my late model cars primarily for one reason... extended
oil change intervals... once a year, 10,000-12,000 miles, which is
still only about half its useful life.  It also makes starting below
zero a breeze... the engine turns over MUCH easier.  Yes, it also
resists oxidation much better than dino oil when oil temperatures get
up toward 250 degrees or more, but I'd rather address the temp
problem than rely on that.  Although many do, I don't use it in our
Harleys, and can't afford to use it in my PSD if I want to keep
intervals within those necessary to maintain the warranty.  Shell
Rotella T for that.
--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446