[A/S] Hensley jacknife

In late October we were returning from vacationing in North Carolina
to Florida.  My wife was driving our 2000 Mercury Mountaineer pulling
our 31 Excella 1983.  After we pulled off the Fla Turnpike onto US 27
to take the slow way home, she approached a traffic light at about 40
mph.

What happened next is hard to explain.  Took some time before I could
reflect on it.

She hit the brakes and the whole rig jacknifed off to the median.
Fortunately no one was hurt.  This is after we had driven through the
mountains successfully, even in the rain, up and down.  No sway on
the highways from trucks either with our Hensley.

My speculation is that our Drawtite brake controller was set up too
soft, and the car skidded.  This was only the third time my wife was
driving the rig, and she was getting comfortable after successfully
coming down the mountains.  She did not know how to respond
(hindsight: should have released brake and push accelerator while I
hit the brake controller ).   I was slow to react too and hit the
brake controller.

The Airstream took it like a champ, only around $2K damage to one
aluminum panel right front.  The Hensley hitch got into an argument
with the car's rear bumper and they both lost and needed
replacement.  The car only had $1200 worth of damage.  No one else
was involved and we were not charged by the police.

We were 50 miles from Ocala and Walt's RV who came to the rescue the
next morning and took the trailer to his shop.  I cannot say enough
good things about Walt.

The car re-inflated its tires and made it to Miami without any
problems.  Had front end checked. DId NOT get out of alignment (!!!)

We were very lucky.

Now that the Mountaineer lease is up, I have purchased a 2003 Yukon
XL to replace it.  I also got a Jordan Ultima Brake controller and a
new Hensley.

Moral of the story is that you can jacknife with a Hensley.  We got
too comfortable.

My wife is still not driving this rig.

M. Ferro
1983 Excella 31