[A/S] Overlander Toilet question

Our 1965 Overlander has the rear bath.  It has the cover that folds down over
the toilet seat.   For some reason the porcelin toilet bowl is about 1/2"
below the fiberglass that holds the seat.  When previous owner  installed the
seat, he tightened it down and of course, because of the 1/2" gap, it pulled
through the fiberglass. My question is, are all the bowls like that, or are
they supposed to be uptight against the fiberglass?  Should I put plywood
under the fiberglass to support it, or is it designed to float free to
relieve stress when traveling?

                                     Thanks,
                               Chuck & Lynn
                               1965 Overlander