[A/S] Re: which size trailer

I haven't pulled a travel trailer in nearly 30 years now, but I used
to deliver trailers from NW Florida down to Central Florida via two-
lane highways and small towns.  I can remember a big difference
between a +/-25 ft trailer and a 30+ ft trailer though (the largest I
delivered was a 33').  Some of those two-lane highways turned right
smack in the middle of some little downtown, and I got to where I
would just go straight and find a school or shopping center parking
lot to turn around in and go back and make it a left turn.  I found
the smaller trailers obviously took less clearance around them
turning and backing in, but the larger trailers weren't as sensitive
when backing and easier to put exactly where I wanted them, if there
was sufficient room.  I don't recall the 33' being any worse than the
30'-31' rigs overall.

We recently went through this Model 30 (31'), 31 (31') and 34
(34'10") decision. All three offer the convenient longitudinally
mounted, easy to make up queen bed with walk around both sides.  All
three have the couch up front with fold out tables.

The credenza on the Model 30 (called an end table on the floorplans)
is right up against the table, so only 3 can sit there, but this
isn't so much of an issue since it has a dinette.  But this means the
bathroom is split across the hallway, with the shower taking up half
of the Model 31 and 34's wardrobe space, and leaving the toilet
sitting open in the hallway, meaning you have to close the bedroom
and dressing room doors for privacy and odor containment.

I personally thought the Model 31 was better.  The credenza is
further back, meaning four can dine at the fold out table, important
since this model doesn't have a dinette (nor the storage below it).
Instead, it has a large bathroom with separate door on one side, and
twice the wardrobe space of the Model 30, both same as the Model 34.

My wife wanted the best of both, and that's why we wound up with the
34.  It has the large wardrobe AND the dinette (and its storage).
The dinette across from the galley is very important to her to have
extra counterspace while cooking, especially considering some of the
34 counterspace is taken up by the appliance garage that supports the
overhead microwave.  I gotta agree it's nicer eating at the dinnete
than eating at the foldout table sitting on the couch.  I believe the
34 also has a bit more in the way of overhead cabinet space.

The 34 weighs between 800 (unloaded) and 1200 lbs (fully loaded) or
only 10-15% more than the 30 and 31, but that weight is spread over
50% more axle, wheels, and brakes, i.e. each of these is carrying
less weight.  Makes a difference on soft ground and when braking
hard, and would if you have a flat tire.  In tight turns on pavement,
there's more sideways dragging of the tires than there is with a two-
axle, where both axles' tires skid a little in opposite directions,
or one or the other skids more, depending on loading.  With the
triple axle, the front and rear tires skid more while the center
tires don't.  Not a big deal, and not an issue on dirt or gravel, but
I thought I'd mention it.  Just make sure the trailer tires are fully
aired up and keep the trailer rolling as you cut the wheel sharper...
don't just stop, crank the wheel hard over, and then go.

The larger the trailer, the fewer the campsites you'll be able to fit
in, and sometimes that eliminates an entire campground.  But more and
more campgrounds are reconfiguring or adding sites for "big rigs"
realizing the sales lost to all the big fivers and motorhomes on the
road these days.  Again, I don't think the 31 vs 34 would make
anywhere the difference here that a 25 vs 31 would.

Essentially as a newbie towing at this point, I'm having no problems
with the 34, especially those that would make a 31 any better.  I've
noticed that the widebody requires a more attention to keep it
between the stripes on narrow streets in a small town.  I backed it
the 1" from the edge of the 41' long driveway that I wanted it,
pulling forward only once, and that's from a street probably no more
than 18' wide. 2.5' on either end.  True, it needed about 8' clear at
the widest point on either side of final position for the long front
and rear overhang to swing.  A 31' might cut that to 6'.

I'm really glad my wife insisted on the 34', since we'll be full-
timing.  I know now that I would've regretted not getting the extra
room, especially 2-3 months into fulltiming.  Could you fulltime in
the current 31'?  Absolutely.  Is the 34' worth putting up with the
extra length?  I sure think so.

Hope this helps,
--
Maurice