[A/S] truck advice - new vs. classic, do i or don't i (lots of q's)

Hello again,

Thanks to some wonderfull grandfatherly advice by the owner of a FS
trailer I visited, I think I've decided that my '58 Plymouth Fury
wouldn't exactly be the best choise to pull an Airstream, even once
in a while. It's got the muscle - 300hp, 290ft-lbs torque, heavy duty
brakes and suspension, BUT being one of the first muscle cars, it was
made for the track, not the tractor-pull! The 3-spd cast iron Torque-
Flite does not, and cannot have an oil cooler added, and the car sits
really low to the ground - even with the new rear springs that put
it's arse up in the air like a feline in heat. All the class IV (and
you DO need class IV right?) hitches I've seen would certainly drag
the ground for sure. This might entertain the kids in passing cars
with the sparks, but not too great for me eh. Plus, it only gets
(an "economical" according to the sales literature) 8mpg with just me
in it, and as the man says, if I'm going to be homesteading I may
just want to haul stuff like um, water and fuel and things from time
to time eh.  Plus I'll have the added task of moving 3 motorcycles
(one a sidehack rig), 2 scooters, 4 cars, a truckload of parts, and
personal belongings with me to New Mexico. Not to mention the
Airstream itself, from whatever corner of the Earth I end up getting
one from.

So, with wounded heart, I must consider an actual TRUCK I suppose.
I'm needing some tips in what to look for, new vs. classic (50's-
60's) and what will do the job.

Pros/cons:
New: Must be Dodge, must be deisel (if i gotta have a truck, may as
well run it for free on WVO), 3/4 ton (hate duallies), factory tow
pkg., manual trans. is H-D cooling and tranny cooler really needed?
is 4.11:1 rear really needed with the Diesel?
Pros: less maintenance, less repairs, warranty, diesel option, low
operating costs due to running on WVO. air conditioning.
Cons: expensive repairs - can't work on it myself, expensive to buy,
have to give up my beloved VW TDI. higher insurance. looks doofy
pulling a vintage Airstream

Classic: prefferably Dodge, well maintained and in good working
order. Body must be acceptable, but not perfect. V8 a must, manual
trans.
Pros: I can work on it myself, low repair costs, low insurance, looks
good puling a vinatage trailer. fits my personality. low purchase
costs, can keep my TDI.
Cons: possibly less reliable, more frequent maintenance, no diesel
option, no A/C most likely, hard to find in good shape. higher
operating cost (gasoline, MPG).

Also I've never been a "truck guy" so I'm not familiar with classic
trucks... what models, styles will do the job described above?

Whew!  OK, I think that's it for now...

Thanks everyone!

Brian "the young one" in StL