Re: [A/S] Tow vehicle

Hi Andy,

Have you or other listees noticed a difference in the engine ability to
handle the both the ambient and load heat?  My '91 conversion van with a
large oil cooler would overheat if I were pulling in WestVA or out west.  In
fact, I'd have to shut the AC down and run the heater to help cool the
engine.  Not a pleasant way to run when the weather is unbearably hot.  I
get 14 mpg on the flat road with the van and I've been told that this
equates to a 3.? rear end.  Might have an entirely different result with a
4.?.  Still, I think I would be stopped long before the summit along the
side of the road waiting for the engine to cool down.  True, the 350 could
never be stopped on most grades that I've encountered.

The roads crossing over the Blue Ridge here in Virginia are very twisty,
narrow, and very steep.  No place to keep the RPMs up.  Just pulling a small
utility trailer with the conversion van was a chore under this road
condition.  Then, there were the very long road construction projects in the
North Carolina foothills .  .  .

I don't have experience towing under similar conditions with the F250 PS
Diesel.  However, it can run all day at temperatures above 100 degrees
without budging the setting on the temperature of the tranny or coolant.

Is it possible that this is an area overlooked in the discussion of vintage
and modern tow vehicles?

                           '69 Safari, Joy