Re: [A/S] Tow vehicle

unless you have a 70s 31' and then it won't pull fine in the mountains even with
everything you can put in it as in 4.1x rear end, T400 tranny, etc.
a 5.n liter engine is just too small to be pulling a 7 - 8,000# trailer OFF the
interstate in the Rockies and even ON the interstates on some of the hills and
passes.
for example, there is no way that I would tow my trailer into jellystone as I
would not be able to get it back out unless I came in and went out thru the West
gate.  in '99 we were driving solo from Missoula thru Jellystone thru Teton to
Lander WY (overnight stop) and getting out of the caldera going south was one
drive I would not want to make with my trailer if I was pulling it with that 90
Sub 1500 or whatever it is called.  Just as I do not look forward ever again to
pulling with that setup South thru Raton Pass.  I mention just these two as they
are commonly known routes to all of us.  There are a LOT worse like coming in
from Idaho over the mountains and down into Jackson Hole.  and so on.

point is, nothing replaces horsepower and torque - LOW end torque to keep from
burning up trannies and engines.  isfaiac, I will not pull my trailer into the
Rockies again until I get a Diesel powered vehicle of some sort.  and I mean one
with some major and _well_proven_  power and that to me, boils down to the 7.3PS
by Ford.

Hunter has the ideal rig for towing ANY trailer anywhere on the North American
Continent.  well, maybe not some double wide 40' "manufactured housing" but
certainly any RV 5ver or TT.

my 2 cents and likely not worth that - just a result of towing Airstreams since
the early 70s with habitually underpowered tow vehicles and lousy hitches.

fwiw
chas

--
Charles L Hamilton,  chasm@schuetzen.net  Houston, TX
WBCCI #1130  VAC   S*M*A*R*T '76 Sovereign '90 Burb 1/2 ton